Let me preface this by saying that I LOVE to write.
As someone who loves to write, my initial impression of blogging was a positive one. Blogging is an excellent way to relieve stress by getting out all of your thoughts and feelings, or maybe just horrible or cool things that have happened to you or to express opinions about current issues happening in society (like in my last post).
I’ve been writing my entire life, ever since kindergarten when I wrote my first short story about a princess named “Centerella” who was stuck in the center of the universe because of a curse placed upon her by the evil villain “Devil-Dare” (yes these were actually their names).
But I’ve never been very good at blogging for three reasons:
- I don’t like writing on a schedule.
- I have commitment issues.
- I have a short attention span.
So (with the help of a few professors and the internet) I’ve come up with a few tips to combat the above weaknesses.
If you’re having trouble starting your blog initially, I found this cite particularly helpful with tips about getting it up and running. However, if you’re anything like me and it’s the maintaining part that gets you, the following might be helpful:
- If you don’t like writing on a schedule or you feel like you’re being forced to write content in a timely manner, make time to regularly review, refocus and plan. The bottom line is that a blog is not going to be successful if you don’t put time into it so write an action plan!
- If you have commitment issues and have trouble sticking to what you start, recruit someone to hold you accountable. At this moment I’m blogging for class so I have that to ensure that I put content out regularly. If you don’t have a class to hold you accountable ask a friend to blog with you!
- If you have a short attention span and often forget to blog or have great ideas about blogging but they leave your mind too quickly write things down as soon as they come to you. Don’t give an idea time to slip away, write it down so you’ll remember!
This cite, 10 Tips For Maintaining Your Blog Mojo helped me find things to combat my blogging weaknesses so check it out for more tips!